A Holistic Approach To Your Space
What is your outer world telling you? Have you ever heard the saying that thoughts become things? And that your outer world and reality is a reflection of your very own thoughts and beliefs? Well if that’s true (and I believe it is) then have you ever stopped to look at your outer world to get clues about what might be happening on the inside? As an interior designer, I meet new clients weekly, either in their homes or offices, and the meetings in their spaces give me immediate clues about the types of people they are and the values and beliefs that their companies have been built on. In other words, I see their spaces as a reflection of their inner selves.
Unfortunately, the majority of clients we meet with have not made the connection of inner and outer worlds and have lackluster, overcrowded spaces with bad lighting and layouts. It is something I see weekly and it’s a tough pill to swallow.
Our separation from nature. It is present more and more every day as we spend on average, 90% of our time indoors. Additionally, science has now been able to prove that our homes, offices, communities and surrounding environment directly affect our daily motivations, behaviors and lifestyle and that these in turn, determine 80-90% of our health outcomes. Given those scientifically proven statistics, wouldn’t you want your interior space to be thoughtfully curated with intention and be absolutely beautiful, ideally with some form of nature represented inside it? I would. And I do 🙂
I can only speak to my experience, and I am sure it’s true for most urban areas, but we sacrifice a lot to live in New York City, (the greatest city in the world ?), so below are some things you should include in your space and incorporate into your life to help stay grounded, healthy, inspired and connected to nature.
Before you do this, take a look around your office or home with a fresh eye and ask yourself:
Does my environment truly reflect the type of person I am and strive to be on the inside? If the two don’t match up, then get to work! Is it an office space you’re having a tough time with? Then talk to your bosses and discuss ways in which they can make changes to the space that will enhance it and make it better for employees. If it’s your home, dedicate a couple of Sundays to going through things and donating them or giving them away, changing out light bulbs, painting and lastly, going shopping and purchasing some new items that spark some serious joy.
- Add fresh flowers or plants – bring the outdoors in!
- Incorporate art and objects that spark joy
- Clear clutter. Living light will make you feel like a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders
- Use good, full spectrum light bulbs. These mimic the sun’s rays and have been shown to have a positive effect on mood and productivity. They also help the plants that you just added 😉
- Spend time outside in nature, and let this inspire what you bring into your home
- Utilize as much natural light as possible. Open your blinds and curtains. Be conscious of not blocking windows and make sure your windows are clean.
- Quiet your mind and spend time alone in your space. I promise amazing thoughts, ideas and “being in flow” will come from this
- Make your home a sanctuary from electronic communication. Turn your email off in the evenings and weekends. Limit time on social media.
- Use candles infused with restorative aromas (did you know that scents can positively affect our moods by making us calmer, more awake, etc.?) Candles also add ambiance and give a sense of warmth and peace as well as diffuse negative energy.
- Use a diffuser for essential oils (each oil helps with different things such as clarity, relaxation, etc.)
- Use crystals in your home or space to help clear negative energy (selenite), protect you from EMF signals from electronics (black tourmaline) and to ground you (amethyst).
Gala Magriñá Design works with Clients that understand the importance of creating a beautiful space and want to work with a no-nonsense design team that is able to clearly chart the best way forward. What separates or approach from other designers is our extensive knowledge of how people live and how best to create a customized space that nurtures that. We aim to merge cool and beautiful interiors with a holistic, mindful and intuitive approach to design that results in powerful, healthy spaces that elevate and transform people’s lives. For more information please visit www.galamagrinadesign.com.